Monday, January 26, 2009

Beef & Swine + Fran= An Upset Friendship

A long lost friend called me last night. It was so weird. Like we used to hang really tight and out of nowhere things just ended.

There was no animosity. No argument. No return of belongings.

Conversation just ceased….until now.

Turns out there was animosity, but she was too proud and too confused about her own feelings to have an argument with me.

It’s been so long I couldn’t even recall the events that let to our demise (such a dramatic word!). She explained it happened in Tampa…at a bar-b-que joint…or the bowling alley…I said something hurtful…or not…she took offense to it…and just stopped talking to me.

I sat on the phone in silence. Celebrities adorned in diamonds and couture flashed before my eyes from the tube, but I couldn’t process what she was saying. All I could think about was that the guy from House has a freaking English accent!! WTF?

She explained that she had decided to cut me off.

Huh?

So if I was cut, why didn’t I know? Or suspect?

It was ironically funny. Someone I considered a close friend, who knew almost everything and was there whenever I needed her, had cut me out of her life between Temple Terrace and our long I-4 drive back home.

A semester passed, we graduated…yet I had no clue that I was dismissed for an entire season!

So what does it all mean? Maybe that I stopped needing her or that she stopped needing me. Maybe she realized she knew enough about me and was no longer interested in learning more. Maybe we matured, became serious about the next steps we required in life and grew up.

But how can you not even notice being cut from the team if being a player was that important to you! And who was my fucking replacement?!?

I’m not even upset with her. I’m just confused. I just wish she had discussed with me almost three years ago while I was driving Ellie Mae that she was upset. That it wasn’t the ribs and pulled pork that had her stomach in a knot; it was ME. And that she was going to cut meat and ME out of her life for good (or until it was deemed necessary).

She’s returned to her carnivorous lifestyle and we agreed to keep in touch. I still don’t get it, but perhaps cleaning her system required ridding ME from her diet as well…

No comments: