Monday, January 26, 2009

What Does It All Really Mean?

I was reading an issue of Cosmo and it included an article on what men say but what they really mean. It was interesting; a little disturbing but a good read nonetheless.

We all have a tendency to say one thing yet mean another. But what happens when the prerequisite Reading Between the Lines 101 is not enough to pass Interacting With the Other Sex.

I’ll be the first to admit that I have this tendency (but who doesn’t?).

For instance: “Whatever”.
Which means, “I don’t give a fuck and will handle "it" on my own time”.

Which really means, “I’ll never handle the situation but want this painful lecture to end before I throw up and swallow”.

Its funny how the one-worded phrase, “Whatever” can mean a variety of things when uttered and turn into something completely different once a person is released from the peril that caused the situation to become just whatever and not something more.

I just wish that I could read between the telephone receiver and figure out what the hell you meant when you ended the conversation with, “I don’t know what it is. I’ve been hurt before. I just need time.”

Huh? What happened to a simple, "Goodnight, sleep tight," A.K.A "Wish I was there to keep you up all night".

So dude, what does it mean, “Don’t call me again"?

Or does it actually mean, “Please remain patient with me. I really enjoy your company, but I’m damaged goods and need time to heal. Yet in the time of healing, I’d love to get to know you better.”

Or worse, does it just mean, “Whatever”.

I’d rather be fed a three-syllable word than hear another man drone on about how he’s been hurt in the past (boo fucking hoo) and just needs time to heal.

Uhh…hello! Having your heart chipped away slightly does not mean you have to shut down and wreak havoc upon every woman you encounter. Or shut down and never reopen again.

It means the piece of your heart she stole is gone and it’s hers. It will always be hers (even though she disposed of it last year with the help of two new friends).

It means that you are not whole, but you are not incomplete.


And that what is remaining IS enough to try and let US be more than a simple, “Whatever”.

So please say what you mean and mean what you say…and if, “I need time” means, “I’m not over HER, she still has a hold on me and I’m passing time with you until she returns” than say just that.

Because yours isn’t the only chipped heart in this quasi relationship.

No comments: